- Clean the metal. The first thing that you need to do is to clean the metal surface. This is important to get rid of the dust that has accumulated on the surface. Use a clean and soft cloth to do this. You can skip this step if you are working on a brand new metal.
- Wipe the metal with mineral spirit. Purchase mineral spirit from the hardware store. The mineral spirit is a solvent that you can use to wipe the metal. This solution will get rid of the grease and clean the metal surface. Get a dry cloth and use it to wipe the metal with the mineral spirit. Allow the metal piece to dry completely before you proceed with the next steps.
- Remove the rust. You can skip this step if there is not rust on your metal piece. Purchase a rust remover from the hardware store and follow the instructions on the bottle on how to use it. You must remove all the rust from your metal piece before painting. If you do not do this, the paint will not hold on to the rust and this can ruin the overall look of your metal piece.
- Use sandpaper. The next step is to sand down the metal surface. Use a piece of sandpaper and gently rub the entire surface of the metal. Sanding the metal will help the paint stick to the metal better. Make sure that you get to the tight spots as well.
- Wash the metal with mild soap and water. Wash the metal piece using mild soap and water. Make sure that you rinse off the soap well. Wipe it dry with a cloth and then allow to completely dry for a few minutes before you start painting.
- Remove the gloss. The gloss on the metal piece can prevent the paint from sticking well to the surface. To remove the gloss, use a soft sponge and wet it with white vinegar. Wipe down the metal piece with the sponge and this should remove the glossy appearance.
- Paint the metal piece. Now you can paint the metal piece using primer that is made for metals. Allow the primer to dry completely. When the primer is dry, you can start to paint the metal piece. You can use spray paint or paint it with a brush.
Follow these steps when preparing metal to paint. Make sure that the paint that you use is good for metals or else the paint may not last long.